‘Every combat role has only a standard of sexual neutrality. Common sense,” says the Secretary of Defense.
The Department of Defense announced Monday that it would impose “sexual neutrality” standards on the role of military combat.
Defense Secretary Pete Hegses has announced changes to physical fitness requirements to “revise” the standard he said was “down” under President Barack Obama’s administration.
“Today, at the Department of Defense – we’re going to fix this. All combat roles are open to men and women, but they all have to meet the same, high standards. The standards don’t drop.
Therefore, according to Hegseth, a “gender neutral” standard must be imposed.
“The sustained fitness requirements at all entry levels within a combat weapon position must be sexually neutral based on the operational requirements of the occupation and the preparations required to confront the enemy,” he wrote. “When establishing these standards, military department secretaries may not establish standards where existing service members are bound by lower standards.”
The Secretary of Defense also directed the military secretary to distinguish between combat and non-combat weapons professions, so that the standards reflect the unique physical requirements of each role.
In the role of ground combat, the standard should emphasize its ability to carry heavy loads, withstand long periods of physical movement, and function effectively in hostile environments.
The role of special manipulation forces requires “sustained peak physical performance” and incorporates the ability to operate in advanced swimming, mountain climbing, parachute, and extreme environments.
In professional businesses such as naval divers, service members must have the ability to tackle conditions that are considered mentally and physically taxable.
Hegseth has previously expressed his opposition to women in the work of combat and expresses his belief that standards have been reduced to accommodate women. He is also a solid supporter of setting all standards the same regardless of gender.
On January 1, 2016, the Department of Defense under Obama opened up all combat roles to women for the first time in US military history.
A 2015 Marine Corps survey revealed differences in performance between men and women. As part of the study, the Marines conducted gender integration experiments. In this experiment, women participated in infantry courses where women were normally closed. Mixed combat units account for an astounding 159%, which is 159% longer than all male units, to evacuate victims, the results show.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.